Top 5 publications in the last 5 years:
- Glasziou P, Altman DG, Bossuyt P, Boutron I, Clarke M, Julious S, Michie S, Moher D, Wager E. Reducing waste from incomplete or unusable reports of biomedical research. Lancet. 2014 Jan 18;383(9913):267-76. Part of a Lancet series triggered by our 2009 Lancet paper (Chalmers & Glasziou) which documented the $85+ Billion annual loss in health research – from design flaws, non-publication, and inadequate reporting. Has had global attention, including triggering the UK NIHR‟s “value in research” program, a yearly symposium. This article has been cited 66 times.
- Hoffmann T, Erueti C, Glasziou P. Poor description of non-pharmacological interventions: analysis of consecutive sample of randomised trials. BMJ 2013;347:f3755. This research revealed and described the poor description of non-drug treatments in trials in the 6 major general medical journals. This article has had >7500 views and 31 citations since being published 17 months ago.
- Hoffmann T, Glasziou P, et al. Better reporting of interventions: the Template for Intervention Description and Replication (TIDieR) checklist and guide. BMJ 2014;348:g1687. A new reporting statement (and official extension to the CONSORT and SPIRIT statements) for reporting interventions; developed with 15 international experts, including editors of BMJ and PLOS Medicine. Has been endorsed as a required reporting guideline by a number of journals and has been cited 69 times.
- Glasziou PP, Chalmers I, Green S, Michie S. Intervention synthesis: a missing link between a systematic review and practical treatment(s). PLoS Med. 2014;11(8):e1001690. Proposes 3 techniques for choosing or synthesizing the „treatment‟ from those describe in a systematic review.
- Djulbegovic B, Kumar A, Glasziou P, et al. Medical research: Trial unpredictability yields predictable therapy gains. Nature 2013;500:395-6. Summarises and updates our Cochrane Review (Djulbegovic et al, 2012) documenting that, across 800+ clinical trials, the average gain of new versus standard treatments is near zero